Submit an Act of Welcome
What is a welcome act?
A welcome act is a respectful and mindful interaction with individuals from a variety of racial, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including immigrants and refugees. The goal is to ensure that individuals feel welcome, respected and included in London.
Examples may include:
- Learn something from an immigrant about their culture, for example
- Help someone new with directions
- If you are a newcomer/immigrant or a new resident in the City, share your experience of being welcomed
- Provide tips about how to cope with Canadian weather
- Share information with new immigrants on the London Transit Commission – where to buy tickets/passes, schedules etc.
- Visit cultural places and/or a store run by an immigrant to learn and interact
- Volunteer with agencies that assist in the settlement process
- Show a newcomer the neighbourhood park and provide them with information
- Learn a newcomer’s name
- Introduce yourself to a newcomer
- Play with a newcomer in school
- Become friends with a child of a different ethnic, religious or racial background, and learn about their background
- Include someone from a different ethnic, religious or racial background in lunch or movie plan
- Share cooking recipes and or ask for ethnic food recipes
- Join someone from a different ethnic, religious or racial background at lunch (school, work etc.)
- Share your culture with someone of a different ethnic, religious or racial background
- If you are an immigrant, share about an opportunity where your perspectives or ideas have been welcomed, considered or included (e.g., in meetings, in planning events, etc.).
NOTICE OF COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information collected on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 and will be used during the LMLIP 1000 Acts of Welcome campaign to end racial, religious and ethnic discrimination. Questions about the collection of personal information should be addressed to the Manager, Strategic Programs and Partnerships, City of London, 355 Wellington Street, Suite 248, London, ON, N6A 3N7, telephone 519 661-2489 x 7377.
By signing and submitting this form, I hereby give my consent to The Corporation of the City of London (“City of London”) and the London & Middlesex Local Immigration Partnership (LMLIP) to collect my personal information in the form of name/submitted text/photograph/image/audio recording/video recording that will be taken during the LMLIP 1000 Acts of Welcome campaign. I also consent to the City of London to use and disclose my personal information in a story, video or videos and photographs which will appear on the City of London’s publicly accessible Internet sites, www.immigration.london.ca www.immigration.middlesex.ca and www.london.ca, on DVD, social media and other Internet sites of the City of London.
Furthermore, by signing this form, I hereby authorize the City of London and the London & Middlesex Local Immigration Partnership to use any story, photographs and video taken for reproduction on the City of London's website, corporate screensaver, or any City of London publications, and I do not expect compensation in return.
IMPORTANT: If you will be submitting a video or photograph containing individuals other than yourself, consent will be required from each individual in the video or photograph prior to submission. Posts may be reviewed for content.